Top Tips for Preparing for the CISSP Exam
The CISSP exam evaluates expertise across eight security domains. Passing the exam proves you have the advanced knowledge and technical skills to effectively design, implement and manage a best-in-class cybersecurity program. The volume of content can make preparing and passing the CISSP exam difficult. Here are a few tips from official certified instructor Fabio Cerullo to guide you through the process of preparing to take the CISSP exam:
Before the exam
Here are some useful tools that can help you plan and prepare for your exam.
- Review the CISSP Exam Outline – This free resource details the major topics and subtopics within the certification domains on which you will be tested.
- Review the CISSP Mind Map – This free resource will help you to have a bird-eye view on all concepts related to the CISSP. You could use this resource as a visual guide.
- Attend (ISC)² Official Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) CBK Training with an Official Training Provider – like Cycubix!
(ISC)² has published a number of useful resources to help you with your studies. Only the official study resources provide students with the most up-to-date content, an absolute must for anyone intending to sit the exam. The following resources, used together provide students with a comprehensive set of tools to review the material and test their understanding of it before testing themselves with practice tests:
- (ISC)² CISSP Official Study Guide – Review each topic in that book and do the questions at the end of each chapter. You will feel more comfortable with certain topics/concepts than with other topics. Focus on the ones that you are not feeling comfortable at the moment.
- Test your knowledge on key CISSP concepts using the (ISC)² Official Flashcards
- Practice, Practice, Practice with the Official (ISC)² CISSP Practice Tests – Two to three weeks before the exam start doing the questions from this book. There are two exam simulations that you could use to gauge your overall knowledge. Again, based on the results of the exam simulations, go back to the (ISC)² CISSP Official Study Guide, and review concepts.
- Download the (ISC)² Official CISSP Study and Practice Tests Apps (iOS / Android)
Sleep well the night before the exam. You don’t want to arrive tired to the CISSP exam
On the day of the exam
So the big day has arrived and you have studied the materials, practiced questions and rested well. Well done on getting to this point and remember to do the following:
- THINK like a security manager and don’t jump to conclusions straightaway. This is not a technical exam. It is about professional experience and overall security knowledge covering several domains. You need to have a bird-eye view across all the domains.
- READ the questions very carefully looking at the scope and the wording. The devil is in the detail. There might keywords within the scenario, question or potential answers presented to you. Look for those hints.
- PICK the BEST possible answer. As in life, there is never a 100% right or wrong answer. Typically you will have to pick between more than one potential answer. In order to help you pick the BEST one, THINK and READ as described in previous steps. Also, don’t leave questions unanswered.
- FOCUS on time management. Don’t waste precious time in a single question and check frequently for your overall progress.